Since 3 previous episodes weren’t enough, Timmie and Ryan join together to discuss a favorite director and auteur, Wes Anderson. Join us for a celebration of artistry, humor, and whimsy, as we look at Anderson and his films from all sides. Maybe we should have storyboarded it too!
Get Your Audio Here!
A. Welcome Back from Alaska Ryan
B. Finally Another Director Episode
C. Lots Of Attention At The Oscars
D. General Feelings On Wes Anderson
II. The Oeuvre [00:12:15]
- Bottle Rocket (1996)
- Rushmore (1998)
- The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
- The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004)
- The Darjeeling Limited (2007)
- Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
- Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
III. The Auteur Filmmaker [00:27:45]
A. Writer, Director, Producer…
- Can we consider Anderson in this category?
- What puts some directors in this category and not others?
- “a filmmaker whose personal influence and artistic control over a movie are so great that the filmmaker is regarded as the author of the movie.”
B. Visual Style
- Creates his own world/reality literally
- Writing and humor
- Fairytale/Storybook quality
- Revolving Players/Cast
- Music Choices/Scores
IV. Influences And Imitators [01:02:31]
A. Ryan Watched Series By The Museum Of The Moving Image
- Anderson compared to Orson Wells
- Mike Nichols
- Truffaut (and French New Wave in general)
- Hal Ashby
- Garden State
- Igby Goes Down
C. How Important Is It To Site/Discuss This?
V. Mini Segments [01:1]
A. Favorite Anderson Films
B. Ryan’s Trivia Corner: Wes Anderson Edition
VI. Conclusions [01:14:10]
A. Related Links
The music found in this episode was written and performed by the talented Jesse James.
This show was edited by Ryan Jacobi.