In a society where machines live among us…Timmie and interim cohost Mike Bruno chat about Replicants, Androids, Harrison Ford, Oscar Isaac and much much more. Grab your Turing test and trench coats kids!
Get Your Audio Here!
A. Welcome Cohost, Mike Bruno
B. We Don’t Want To Replicate Our: 3 Films… Format
II. Terminology & Definitions [00:03:00]
B. Artificial Intelligence (AI)
III. Our Examples [00:11:30]
A. Ex Machina (2015)
- Written and Directed by Alex Garland
- Starring: Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander, Domhnall Gleeson, Sonoya Mizuno
B. Blade Runner (1982)
- Directed by Ridley Scott
- Written by Hampton Fancher & David Peoples
- Based on the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick
- Starring: Harrison Ford, Edward James Olmos, Daryl Hannah, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer, William Sanderson, Joe Turkel
- METAL FACT!
C. Stylistic Similarities/Differences
- Look/Mood of Blade Runner
- Look/Mood of Ex Machina
IV. What Does the Future Hold? [00:32:40]
A. An Asian/American Fusian Society
B. Genius Inventors Living Outside of Society
C. Manmade Beings (AI, Cyborg…what have you) Taking Uncanny Human Form
D. Machines with Superior Abilities (in many ways) Desire to Be As Human As Possible
E. Emotional/Romantic Relationships Between Humans & Machines
F. Machines Revolting Against Their Makers (Humans) for Independence
G. Tests That Distinguish the Machines from Humans
V. Questions & Conversations [00:51:50]
A. Are These Realistic Portrayals of the Future?
B. What are Sci Fi Storytellers Trying to Warn Us About?
C. “Am I A Replicant?”
VI. Mini Segments [01:05:23]
A. NJAM Sees It: The Martian (2015)
A. Related Links
The music found in this episode was written and performed by the talented Jesse James.
This show was edited by Ryan Jacobi.